Monday, January 07, 2013

A Massed Prayer for Lawrence Auster

From Rick Darby at Reflecting Light:
Lawrence Auster
As many of you know, Lawrence Auster [of View From the Right] has been ill for some time and has taken an apparent turn for the worse. One of his regular commentators, Kristor at The Orthosphere, is organizing a coordinated hour of prayer for his well-being.

I will participate and I urge you to.

Perhaps some of Lawrence's followers are skeptical about the power of prayer to affect medical disorders. Even people drawn to spirituality may think that prayer operates in a different realm from the physical. As it happens, I have been reading Healing Words: The Power of Prayer and the Practice of Medicine, by Larry Dossey, M.D. It includes information about fully scientific studies as well as anecdotal evidence suggesting the efficacy on the physical plane of prayer.

*************

Stogie:

The hour of prayer for Lawrence Auster will take place on Sunday, January 13, from 5 to 6 PM, your time. Kristor writes:
The vigil will happen in your time zone from 5:00 to 6:00 pm, Sunday, January 13. As evening falls, light a candle in an often used room, where those of your household will often see and take note of it. A burning flame is inherently interesting, and likely to be noticed. After you light the candle, and whenever you notice it again during the hour of the vigil, say a short prayer for Lawrence; something like this collect:

O LORD our Governor, whose help is in all the world, and by whom all things are made: bless now and keep thy servant Lawrence Auster, relieving him of all his troubles and travails, salving and healing all his wounds and illnesses, and restoring him to fullness of life in thee; and, at the last, call him home to everlasting joy in thy Heavenly Kingdom. All this I pray, in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.

Or, just:

O LORD, I pray thee bless, keep and heal thy servant, Lawrence. Amen.
Pray For Lawrence Auster
January 13 is a lucky day for me.  I met my wife on January 13; my first natural grandchild was born on January 13.  I also believe in the efficacy of prayer.  I have a niece who suffered a severe brain injury in an auto accident many years ago and was not expected to live, but I prayed for her fiercely, as did other family members.  She survived.  I have a friend who contracted some kind of heart virus and was given a year to live.  I prayed for her furiously as well, and her heart came back to 60% of full strength, allowing her to live indefinitely.

Larry Auster's case is a very difficult one.  He has pancreatic cancer, from which only 15% survive at least five years, and that is only under the very best of conditions (early detection, operable cancer).  Larry himself has predicted he would live only two years after diagnosis.  He is currently bed-ridden with severe gastro-intestinal distress, probably a side effect of the chemotherapy.

Miracles do happen, and I will be praying for Larry on Sunday, January 13, with a lighted candle, in my home.  Please feel free to join us.


No comments: